Transpersonal Arts for Health & Wellbeing
Why Choose Tobias?
The most fascinating aspect of this course is the gradual and surprising discovery of the sources of health in the worlds near and far from nature to the stars… . The course aims to promote the development of artistic skills and aesthetic awareness in such a way that artistic processes become gateways into nature’s life-giving secrets. Through the re-imagination of a living cosmos we challenge the one-sided notions of an inanimate universe. We entertain the companionship of the plant and animal world, of the earth, air, fire and water as we work with artistic media that are imbued with the qualities of the elements, e.g. watercolour, pastels, natural pigments, charcoal, clay, stone, etc.
This one year course can be taken independently and is accredited at Level 5 with City & Guilds – the ACGI Award. It offers a complete learning experience in its own right, however, it also leads on to the Level 7 Masters Equivalent Training in Transpersonal Arts in Therapy.
What is Health and Wellbeing?
Creative activity is known to effect health and quality of life. The arts, creativity and the imagination help stimulate resilience, aid recovery and foster wellbeing.
The creative arts help us make sense of ourselves, making room for our heart and soul to be heard. They inspire engagement with the natural world, helping us to keep learning and connecting with one another.
We are holistic in approach and believe that the arts enable us to see and value the whole person, rather than the illness or symptom. We believe the arts contribute to supporting and empowering people in a personal and empathetic way.
Alternative Study Option
A blend of residential and online modules every year for four years which comprises of one residential module for two weeks during July each year and six two-day online modules (12 days in total) spread throughout the remainder of each year. Dates will be given to each cohort at the start of each year.
This training is ideally suited to students residing outside of the UK but is also suited to UK students who have work and/or family commitments where this method of training would work best.
More details regarding the Modular course including dates and fees can be found here.
The student is trained in visual arts and able to make proficient use of artistic techniques, exercises and different mediums. The student will learn to observe the effect of the art medium with sensitivity and empathy within their own artwork, preparing them for the working environment.
Students are immersed in a deep experiential exploration of colour and will explore a variety or themes such as the four elements (earth, water, air and fire) nature moods and working with stories and biography.
Where Can I Work?
This qualification enables students to run art groups in health and social contexts, with the aim of promoting wellness. Students have gone on to work in a wide variety of social settings with:
- women’s groups,
- special needs,
- mental health,
- the elderly
It is also the first year of our Level 7 (Masters Equivalent) Transpersonal Arts in Therapy training.
The student is trained in visual arts and able to make proficient use of artistic techniques, exercises and different materials. The student will learn to observe the effects of the art medium with sensitivity and empathy within their own artwork preparing them for the working environment.
- Proficiency in artistic skills;
- Knowledge of art history and receptivity to artistic inspiration;
- Ability to impartially experience, accurately observe and inter-subjectively describe the art medium;
- Ability to impartially experience, accurately observe and describe the artistic work of others;
- Recognising the significance of image;
- Applying artistic techniques in order to express a personal theme in images and place it in a developmental perspective;
- Reflecting on the artistic process;
- Fine-tuning artistic actions to client or client group.
Knowledge is developed through:
- Personal Study
- Experiential Therapeutic Exercises (Experience of Art and Creativity)
- Simulated practice
Intellectual Skills are developed through:
- Written Assignments
- Experiential group and exercises
- Group Discussion
- Journal Writing
Practical Skills are developed by:
- Arts in Therapy role play
- Experiential exercises
- Proficiency in artistic skills
- Recognise the significance of image elements in artistic works
- Reflecting on the Artistic Process
- Ability to use the observational research methods.
FULL TIME TRAINING 2020-2021
(21 September 2020 Start):
Transpersonal Arts for Health & Wellbeing: £6090
PART TIME (Modular) TRAINING (2020)
Campus accommodation –2020-2021
Prices: £70-£90 per week or £15.00 per night
Private single room sharing bathrooms and kitchen with other students. Residents share kitchen and bathroom cleaning and other small jobs. Rent is payable through holiday periods. Please reserve your room early if you want to live on campus. Rooms must be rented for at least a term and we require a month’s deposit upon reservation and one month’s notice period. The deposit will be refunded at the end of the rental period if the room is left clean and in good order. Please bring your own towels. Bed linen is provided.
Estimated at £230 during the first year, and, once the basic materials have been bought, less in the second year. Mainly watercolours, brushes, boards, paper, pastels and drawing materials are required.
Additional student requirements:
Students are required to have a minimum of 40 hours of personal therapy (art therapy and counselling/psychotherapy) taken regularly throughout the duration of the course. 40 hours are required to be completed by the end of the training and can cost between £35-55 per hour.
Students are required to undertake 120 days of supervised clinical practice. One hour of supervision for every 6 hours of client contact time. This cost is mostly covered by the institution where the placement is undertaken.
Accommodation, food, materials and travel are not included in the fees. Fees are subject to annual review and possible increase.
Apply / Entry Requirements
- Completion of our application form and necessary documentation.
- A brief biography that outlines your historical relationship with art and your interest in helping others (Approximately 500 words.)
- Two references are requested – one academic and one professional. See form in application pack.
- You are encouraged to attend an interview preferably in person but we are able to do it via Skype or telephone.
- Have evidence of a good command of written and spoken English.
- Where English is not your first language you should have achieved an overall score of 6.5 in IELTS or at level B2 on the new European Levels Grid.
- Candidates will require a first degree. Where no first degree has been obtained life experience may be taken into consideration.
- Candidates will be expected to provide a CV showing any experience of relevant working experience in an appropriate field such as education, health care or social services.
- Maturity and life experience are needed for this training and therefore the minimum entry age is 24 years old.
- In compliance with the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, 1974, and mental health legislation for clinical placement and other similar areas of employment, applicants are required to provide a medical report and submit to an enhanced criminal record check when commencing placement.
At interview Candidates are assessed on:
- Emotional Robustness
- Capacity to remain open to differences and compassion for self and others.
- Candidates will be expected to produce a folio of their recent artwork as evidence of engagement with the arts and the presence of a developing visual language.
Ready to apply?
Telephone: +44 1342 313655
or fill in the form below and we will send you details.
At a glance
1yr, attending Tobias School 2 days a week and extra time for study and mentoring, equating to approximately 22hrs of study per week.
This year is also the first year of the Transpersonal Arts in Therapy Training
2yrs: The same qualification can be gained by our Modular option comprising of one residential module for two weeks each year and six two-day online modules spread throughout the remainder of each year.
Transpersonal Arts for Health and Wellbeing
City and Guilds: Level 5 (ACGI)
Upon completion of the level 5 course eligible students can continue their training and progress to our level 7 course, Transpersonal Arts in Therapy training.
Tobias School of Arts & Therapy
Coombe Hill Road